Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The Decision to Serve


Like so many other beautiful young ladies in the LDS community, sitting during October 2012 General Conference when they announced the age change for women to serve from age 21 to age 19, we all looked at each other and shouted I’m 19!!

What it specifically was like for me on this day: As I sat there on my bed with my wonderful roommate Jamie listening to General Conference on the radio, President Thomas S. Monson made the announcement. The thoughts that came to my head was, “I’m pretty much 19… in 6 days!! I need to text my mom!” My mom obviously said, “ of course you should go!”

Through the whole General Conference I cried and cried and cried, I would have to say that, that wasn’t like me to cry like that. I was overcome by the spirit and it was so strong. Not realizing at the time that it was telling me that I NEEDED to serve a mission. That THIS is the path I need to take in my life.

After a while the excitement faded, yes the idea was always there in the back of my mind but I didn’t really ask my Heavenly Father to know if I should serve. One day my lovely co worker, who is serving in Russia right now, told me that she was going to be serving a mission. Courtney really inspired me with her thoughts and willingness to serve. Later, I decided I would serve a full time mission. Yes, I had received my answer. I had finally gotten down on my knees and asked my Father in heaven if a mission was right for me. The thoughts that came to my head were, “Why are you asking this? You know the answer. You’ve known the whole time. Now go talk to your bishop and start your papers”.

Knowing my luck, I wasn’t able to start my papers because I was going to be starting school and moving wards soon and my bishop wanted me to start and finish the process with the same bishop. During this waiting period my parents came to visit for Christmas. I then again asked my mom if she thought I should serve a mission. Of course she still had the same answer. Now was The Decision to go home or stay at school. I knew that I needed to go home and I didn’t ask any questions why.

It turns out that while in Idaho, my mom had gotten MRSA from a spider bite on her leg. She was down from the spider bite for two months while recovering. I know now that I was supposed to come home to help my mom through that trial. Everything worked out perfectly selling my contract, packing, and moving home. I felt like everything shouldn’t have been that easy. Also, my two sisters both came home and I’m so glad they did so I could spend my days before my mission with my beautiful family.

I packed up and moved home and started my papers as soon as I could!! I’ve already gotten my call but that’s for another storyJ

I know that with out a doubt the Lord was with me through that whole process. He knew what I needed hear, the experiences I needed to have to give me that little push towards The Decision. There are so many tender mercies that I can look back on and recognize. I’m so thankful for being able to see the Lords hand in my life, directing me, giving me strength, and never leaving me. I’m also so very thankful for my opportunity to serve a full time mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I can’t wait to begin my journey as a sister missionary!


No comments:

Post a Comment